I like to play this every year- I do love looking around and seeing who I can be a wish fairy for!
– Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered…whatever you’re comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related to medium (“I wish for _____ on DVD”) to really big (“All I want for Whatever — Birthday, Halloween, Yule, Arbor Day — is a new car/computer/house/TV.”) The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
– If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it’s your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
– Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ, so that the holiday joy will spread.
– Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here’s the important part:
– If you see a wish you can grant, and it’s in your heart to do so, make someone’s wish come true. Sometimes someone’s trash is another’s treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don’t want or a gift certificate you won’t use—or even know where you could get someone’s dream purebred Basset Hound for free—do it.
You needn’t spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn’t to put people out, it’s to provide everyone a chance to be someone else’s holiday elf—to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not — it’s your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just…wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you’ll have the joy of knowing you made someone’s holiday special.
I just finished packing and addressing something from someone’s wishlist. This is something that I like doing so very much- sending out something as a small surprise to make someone’s day just randomly. So I thought I would post a few of my small wishes here- in case someone has something on here lying around that they don’t want but haven’t gotten rid of.
- Karma shampoo bar
Jungle conditioner bar
Bookbinding finishing tools, gold knife, gilder’s tip, gilder’s stove
smooth leather large enough for a book (about 2 square feet- any colour)
A Craftsman’s Guide to Edge Decoration by John Mitchell (A xeroxed copy of a library book would be awesome!)
7 mm silk ribbon (any colour)
Fast, inexpensive recipes to fix for dinner when I get home
hemp or linen heavy cord
marbled or handmade papers
Ok, that’s ten. Note I do not want anyone to go out and buy any of this- the closest thing to that would be if you have access to a library that has a copy of A Craftsman’s Guide to Edge Decoration and you would be willing to check it out and copy it for me, I’d be ever so grateful! Even if you could scan the pages and email them to me… I just need to read it.
Email is wren081063 at hotmail.com and please put something in the subject so I know it’s not spam!