Little Women

Text from Project Gutenberg- but I have to check it! I’ve already found one mistake… a word added for no apparent reason. Then Juanita Bennett illustrations printed in and blank pages left for the colour Rockwell pictures. Those I’m going to scan and have photographic prints made, affix them to the blank pages and tip in tissue guards.

9/19/2018 The text is horrible! I’ve gotten a virtual copy (University of California, scanned, on line) of the first edition. And I’m having to compare every line, every word and every punctuation mark. I’ve changed so many things back I stopped making a list before I finished the first chapter. And I’m using the text from the 1896 version- I shudder to think how much MORE editing has been done since then! I guess what I am doing is de-editing… which is ridiculous. This should not need to be done.

But, when I finish, I’ll have the original book with the illustrations I love. I’m also going to print a copy of the “Pickwoick Portfolio” separately on parchment paper and bind it in as it’s own thing. And I’m going to add a copy of the play they are putting on in the first chapter as an appendix- yes, it really does exist and was printed in a book called “Comic Tragedies” by Jo and Meg.

This is a lot more of a project than I thought it was going to be when I started!! (This is what happens when you go looking for the perfect copy- be warned.)

Advertisements