Unique 1st book, facsimile first editions books 2-14 to be bound as a Harlequin set.
July 8, 2014
I found my lifting knife (I had forgotten I had bought one). I need to clean up my bookbinding area so that the smaller tools don’t get lost among the brushes- better tool organization is much needed here. With it, I lifted the end papers on one of the Oz books (Rinkitink in Oz) with relative ease. I find the trick is to go slow and sacrifice a little of the binding board in favor of the paper. I’m wondering if I can case the leather around the existing case- it’s a slick cover and I don’t know if the paste would stick or not. I suppose I can try it and see- I’ll have lost nothing if it doesn’t as the leather can still be used.
I’ve had an idea for the end papers on The Wizard of Oz. I’ll have to reprint it because I want the unabridged text but the Copelman illustrations on decent paper. Hence, I need end papers. So I thought I could tea dye a couple of pages of the same paper I print the book on and then take brown dye and mark it out in bricks. Or I could dye it yellow- if I use cotton paper, Rit dye should do it. I could also dye a cyclone (one or more) with grey dye.
Well, I’m having a bunch of trouble with the first book- namely, I can’t find paper that will make it the same size as the others. I found a source for B4 paper (hard to find in the extreme in the US) at Empire Imports for not too much. This will make it almost an inch too tall but I can mange that with the plow and an excessive top margin in the printing and about half an inch (at most) too narrow once it’s printed and leveled off.
The other thing that I’m finding is that the first edition had some extra features- all the line drawings are white and a colour but the colour changes depending on where in Oz it is. So I’ll have to scan and edit the pictures before adding them to the manuscript.
June 2, 2015
I haven’t done much more than lift the endpapers on all the books I have- the first book is still being a knotty problem! However, I have decided to go ahead and gild the pages and case the 13 other books… and then once they are all cased (including the first) I’ll decorate the covers all at once. So here goes- I’ve not done a lot of edge gilding with gold but by the time I finish this set, I should be close to expert at it.
June 26, 2015
I’ve gilded and covered the second, third and fourth books- upwards and onwards!
Sept 8, 2017
I scraped the idea about the first book. I found a spray that deacidifys paper so I’m just going to take the Copelman book and rebind it. If I had more tools and so, I could do it but as it is, this has stalled me for too long already. I also found end paper that looks (to me) like a desert and I may paint a twister on it. So far I have end papers applied and am currently squaring and trimming the pages. I need to build something to support the plough- right now I’m using an empty quilting frame but that’s not the best solution.
October 9, 2017
Inspite of working 6 days a week while my manager is on vacation… and running out of gold and having to wait for more to be delivered, I’ve finished the 1st Oz book. The next one will have to wait until I finish a couple of other projects… one for a Christmas present so it’s time sensitive.
October 1, 2018
I’m working on the last book- began the gilding tonight.
Ocotber 11, 2018
It’s done! All 14 books are cased. I still have to title the spines and decorate the front cover but I’m holding off on that yet awhile in hopes I can get some actual type letters and a type holder.