The Flying Yorkshireman, copy 1

June 19th
I have torn apart The Flying Yorkshireman. It was more difficult than it had a right to be because the pages are so fragile they kept tearing in my hands. I am also going to have to figure out a numbering system to keep things straight in my head as I am not going to be able to just copy them- I am going to have to scan them, clean them up and then print them off on the archival paper I have now. So I don’t waste paper, I need to remember which pages go on the back of which other pages and that will take some organization.

Photobucket

July 10
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Getting the first signature together to scan and print…

July 12
I finished scanning, cleaning up and printing the third signature of The Flying Yorkshireman. It’s kind of slow going because I have to lay out everything and then scan it as a picture file and then print the proper pages back to back so it’s one page at a time. I’m a bit surprised that I haven’t messed up my pagination- that I know of. I’m also going to have to figure out how to trim the fore edge- without investing in a plow. I don’t plan to be printing more than this one book so that would be a foolish investment.

July 21
I finished all the signatures except the title page and contents so I’ll start sewing as soon as I read it through and make sure there are no glaring errors and I’ll need a press pretty soon.

Photobucket

July 24
I discovered that my proof reading skills are somewhat lacking and I have to proof The Flying Yorkshireman again. And fix it. And then I was looking at having to re-print, re-scan, re-edit, add page numbers again and reprint it onto good paper all over again. Arrgh!

I asked 80s to find me a program that would let me print a book signature straight from the program… and he did and brought me a six pack of mojitos when he came out to pick his tomatoes. So now all I have to do is go in and make the corrections I need to do and just print.

July 29
Photobucket
All the signatures…

Photobucket
Making a punching guide

Photobucket
Punching signatures

Photobucket
All punched!

Photobucket
Everything lines up- whew!

Photobucket
Putting hemp cords on the sewing frame

Photobucket

Photobucket
The frame all ready to go

Photobucket
Threading up to start sewing!

August 3, 2011
I finished sewing the first copy of The Flying Yorkshireman together and I’m going to try to back and bind it this weekend. I also have the second copy printed out and I’ll try and work on that as well. My book press is smaller than I would like so I’m going to have to cut down my backing boards by about an inch- not very happy about that!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

P8030110

Photobucket
That last picture is of just how little thread I had left over when I finished sewing. Don’t ask me how I judged it so closely!

8/6/11
The first copy is done except for the decoration on the cover!

I forgot to take a picture of gluing on the super (linen), rounding and backing the spine- I’ll try to remember next time!

Photobucket
Unravelling the cords.

Photobucket
Endpapers- so many pretty choices! The flash makes them look washed out but they’re really very vibrant.

Photobucket
Cutting the end paper to size.

Photobucket
Folding and creasing the endpapers.

Photobucket
Applying glue- the scrap of paper is there to make sure that I only get glue on the 1/8 of an inch it needs to be on.

Photobucket
Gluing in the endpapers.

Photobucket
Bookmark and headband supplies.

Photobucket
Sewing in the bookmark ribbon. I have never heard of any bindary doing this but it just seems like good sense to me.

Photobucket
In the press, ready for the headband.

Photobucket
Headbands glued in. The arrow is so I will know which is the top of the book- I’d hate to have the bookmark come out of the bottom.

Photobucket
Better picture of the headbands- the flash is really messing with me today.

Photobucket
Gluing on kraft paper. It’s just acid free heavy brown paper- wrapping paper will do or a paper bag as long as it’s acid free.

Photobucket
Ah- that’s better!

Photobucket
Making rice flour paste. 1/2 cup of water and two spoons of rice flour.

Photobucket
Mix to remove lumps

Photobucket
Add two whole cloves. You can leave the cloves out if you want or use clove powder but the scent of the cloves in the paste keeps insects from finding your book tasty.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Heat and stir until thick. I couldn’t take an actual picture of that because my hands were busy and it’s very fast!

Photobucket
Spread paste on leather. This is a bit of sheepskin that is really a little too small for the book but sheepskin is horribly stretchy so I’m going to take advantage of that.

Photobucket
Cover boards and manila strip in place. THe manila strip I just cut from a manila folder- the same one I used to make the punching guide, as a matter of fact.

After this I wrapped the case around the book and pasted down the end papers.

Photobucket
In the press overnight with the brass edged boards.

Next will be the title and decoration on the cover.

August 8, 2011
I am NOT happy with this decoration job.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Advertisements

2 Responses to The Flying Yorkshireman, copy 1

  1. Pingback: Day 1581 « The Virtual Wren

  2. Pingback: Flying Yorkshireman- copy 1 « The Virtual Wren

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s