I’m going to start this rebind tonight or tomorrow. I’ve decided on brown kangaroo leather and silver for the gilding (argenting). I’m going to keep the cover fairly simple- just the title and possibly the house crest- if I can make it work. I’ve got a hardback Nesfa press edition which should need nothing more than edge argenting and a new case.
I have to say, Nesfa makes a well made book! The spine is built to last forever and everything is solid and strong and made of good materials. (In other words, I had the dickens of a time getting it out of it’s case!) I plan to reuse the cover boards.
Ok, after breakfast (cinnamon roll oatmeal) and a shower and getting dressed, we’re back. I realized somewhere in there that I really should have chosen, cut and added endpapers (and the dustjacket cover) before getting started on the edge argenting. Oh well, I’ll add those between top and bottom argenting.
The top had to be reagented because the silver simply pealed off. So I went ahead and bound in the dustcover art and added endpapers before hand.
I’m going to try the bottom edge tonight and I think I’ll go with one layer of bole and only one of glair since it seemed to be too much for this paper- obviously it doesn’t soak it up like the cotton paper did on Winterfair Gifts.
All edges argented and sealed so tonight I work on the binding. I’m going to use kangaroo for this one as there’s not enough of it to bind any of the sets I want.
Well, I got the book cased in yesterday- but the few pictures I remembered to take… are all horribly blurry except this one:
I’m still not entirely happy with the edges. I’m thinking with commercial book paper, I could skip the bole altogether and just go with one thin coat of glair… and if I’m going to be using PVA glair, then I need to thin it down more or experiment with egg glair. When I take the pages apart, I seem to loose a bit of the silver and I’m thinking the plastic is peeling off a little and leaving nothing on some of the pages.
I am very happy with the case however (so far, it’s still in the press). I’ve got enough silver left to do the spine so I’ll title it tonight and I’ve ordered more to do the front cover when it gets here. I added a bookmark while I was relining the spine- I almost forgot- so the finishing on the cover is all that’s left.
I got the book titled last night… but I goofed and titled it from bottom to top instead of from top to bottom. It’s not the only book I’ve seen like that- a fair few English books are titled so- but it looks a touch odd with the rest of my Bujold books. In spite of that, I’m quite happy with the result and may decide not to do anything at all to the front cover.