- Pieced: October 8, 2014 – May 10, 2014
1809 pieces,Beginning difficulty.
QuiltFlix: The Quiet Man, Darby O’Gil and the Little People, Far and Away. Leprechans, Secret of Roan Innish, Heaven Help Us
Quilt with shamrocks, knotwork, harps and the “Fighting Irishman” in the setting squares. Quilted as a braid in the border.
This is to be a green scrap quilt. The main line in the center of the crossing pieces I want out of the shamrock fabric and the rest in dark and light greens with white setting squares. The border I want in copper (and I’m going to make an exception to the “all cotton” rule here) I’m going to use copper lamé. I want the border fairly thin and quilted like a braid of hair running all around the quilt.
Update: I found an all cotton shimmery copper which is perfect! Michael Miller’s copper Fairy Frost fabric so I won’t have to use the lamé!
Another update- I found the black velvet ribbon to wrap around the braided border at Vintage Ribbons on Etsy. Note to slef: Send Sal a picture of the quilt when I finish it!
I’ve also decided to use three shades of fairy frost and do John Flynn’s braided border… mostly because I can’t figure out how to turn the corner with the pioneer braid.
Update 10/8/14: A minor success- I now have all the pieces cut for the top:
This does NOT include the borders which will have more pieces than the top. The difference is that the border pieces are cut in strips, the strips sewn together and then squares and triangles cut from the strips. I’m sure it’s possible to do it differently… but more difficult because it’s not designed for it. I am probably going to do that sewing on the machine.
Update 2/17/15 I’m working on the last of the blocks for the top!
Update 4/10/15: I finished the Irish Chain quilt top yesterday- no pictures because Anna-cat wanted to lay on it so I left it at Mom’s for a day or so. I also finished most of the pieces for the border, reserving some to lay out to get around the corners. Then I started trying to sew them together. Um. I am not going to be able to use the machine for that- no matter how carefully I pinned, the seams were not matching up so I’ll have to put the pieces together by hand.
Looking at the numbers, I may have reserved more pieces than I needed to… but I can always put them together. Better to have reserved too many than have to rip some apart!
Update 1/9/2016: Borders (and corners!) finished. Applying black velvet ribbon before sewing it to the quilt.
Her eyes they shone like the diamonds
You’d think she was queen of the land
And her hair hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band.
I finished the quilt top. Here’s the kick- I actually finished it weeks ago… but I wanted to put a “tail” on the corner of the quilt to show that it was a braid of hair. So I planned one- quite difficult- and executed it. I just attached it and laid it out… and I hate it. It doesn’t look like it belongs there at all. So if people don’t know it’s a braid of hair, they may well wonder at the choice of copper instead of gold for the border. Oh well, I know. So the top is finished.
Goodness knows when I’ll get a chance to quilt it!